Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Meet Sophia Marie Cropper!

It's been 2 weeks & I'm now FINALLY getting around to sharing the birthday our little lady. I've spent the past 2 weeks absolutely swooning over our little girl. It's just incredible how you fall so deeply in love someone in a mere instant & you would do absolutely anything for them. Being a mommy has been the best thing that's ever happened to me.

So here's how the day came about...

We had an appointment to be induced Monday, August 13th, 2012 at 2am in the morning. It was 1:30am and as we were driving to the hospital I was completely on edge and overwhelmed with nervousness. I totally snapped at Grant for no reason and then instantly felt bad. I remember looking at him as I started crying and just saying I was so sorry & that I was freaking out that we were about to have a baby. He looked at me, smiled and asked "So you've been pregnant for 9 months and it's now hitting you 30 minutes before we get to the hospital that you're actually having a baby??" Yes, that's exactly what it was... it had just became VERY real as we had the car packed and were driving to the hospital. I kept thinking about how when we drive home it won't be just the two of us anymore- we'll actually have a BABY!!

When we got to the hospital Grant went into daddy mode & started documenting everything.

{Filling out some last minute paperwork}

Here's a video of us walking into the labor & delivery section. I was completely in my own world and had NO idea he was even filming me...

When we got situated in our room, the nurse told me I was dilated to a 2 and my cervix was at 80%. She started my induction by hooking up a Pitocin drip into my IV. I remember being SO nervous for this because I've heard how painful Pitocin can make your contractions.

{In the Labor & Delivery Room}

A few hours went by and the nurse came back in to check my progress. She told me that my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I was dilated to a 4. I still felt great and had very little pain. Then she broke my water & told me that my contractions would now become a lot more intense and asked if I would like an epidural... I said yes and she called for the anesthesiologist.

As the anesthesiologist was giving me the epidural I remember flinching 3 times- each time she told me "don't move!" but I almost couldn't help it. Then I heard her say "Dang it..." (not quite what you want to hear from a doctor) and then she proceeded with "it's not working. The catheter is kinked and we'll have to try it again". Now if you know me, I am absolutely TERRIFIED of needles so I was completely dreading this. She tried it again... same problem. Six tries later... (yes, SIX!!), same problem! She finally said "This must be a bad batch of epidurals- I need someone to run down to the OR and get me one from a different batch". She told me that she had been an anesthesiologist for 38 years and she had NEVER once seen this happen. Apparently  they were all a bad batch of epidurals where the catheter kept getting kinked and wouldn't secrete any pain medicine. Thankfully the seventh time it worked. By that point it was about an hour later and I was so exhausted I fell asleep.

The nurse came in about 45 minutes later to check my progress and she told me I was dilated to a 7! She told me it would probably be a few more hours. I was still so tired that I fell back asleep and took another nap. Another 45 minutes went by and she came in to check my progress again... to my surprise she said I was dilated to a 10 and she went to go call the doctor!

About 20 minutes later the doctor arrived and before I knew it everyone got suited up and it was baby time! I pushed a few times with the nurse to get her head in place for delivery. The doctor came in and they shut off the epidural so that I could gain more feeling to push through the contractions.

There was Grant right by my side, holding my hand and my head whispering in my ear "Push! You can do this!" It was only a few pushes later and our little lady was born! They put her right on my chest and all I could do was look at her in pure shock! I couldn't believe she was finally here.

Sophia Marie Cropper
Born August 13, 2012 at 2:18pm
6 lbs, 7 oz and 17 inches long

{First family photo}

We had a few visitors...

{My dad's fire station was right down the street from the hospital so he decided to bring the whole crew to the hospital with him for a visit in between calls}

{Grandma Shirley}

{Grandma Shona}

{Jessica & Candice}

Then the next day...

{Grant was exhausted & slept on the expandable bed}

{I got cleaned up... all natur-AL baby}

{And we got to go home!}

It was truly an amazing experience. We are completely in love with our little family! Thank you to everyone for all your love and support! 


1 comment:

Jennie said...

This made me cry. I would be sooo nervous just like you so I totally related! FREAKING OUT!! She is the most beautiful baby I have seen. What a wonderful, sweet treasure you have now. Sophie is so lucky to have such amazing, perfect parents! Love you ames!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...